Four Florida State Parks in Top Ten for Fishing and Boating for Families
Five Florida locations -- four of which are state parks -- are ranked in the top ten places for families to boat and fish in America.
Photo by William Waterway via Wikipedia Commons
The list, put together by the Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation, ranked 100 places around the U.S. and, pretty much a surprise to no one, Florida is right at the top of their list, with Everglades National Park coming in at Number 2.
The criteria for compiling the list are simple:
- Family-friendly location, defined as within an hour's drive of a major city or town, so they are easily accessible.
- Have a public body of water that is known for having plenty of common fish species such as bass, crappie, bluegill and trout. Often times these public places are stocked with fish for all.
- Part of a park that also offers amenities families need like parking, restrooms, playgrounds, picnic areas or campgrounds.
- Has plenty of places to cast a line, like a fishing pier or has boat ramps to allow you to reach other areas on your boat.
- Is recommended by other anglers! Anglers from around the U.S. cast their vote and thought these parks offered some of the best fishing spots.
With that in mind, the folks at Take Me Fishing then put together their list of 100.
Here's the Top 10:
1. Lake Berryessa, Pleasure Cove Resort and Marina, Napa Valley, CA
2. Bahia Honda State Park, Big Pine Key, FL
3. Skyway Fishing Pier State Park, St. Petersburg, FL
4. Everglades National Park, Homestead, FL
5. Kissimmee State Park, Lake Wales, FL
6. Galveston Island State Park, Galveston, TX
7. Lake Chabot Regional Park, Castro Valley, CA
8. Blue Springs State Park, Orange City, FL
9. Table Rock State Park, Branson, MO
10. Presque Isle State Park, Erie, PA
"Boating and fishing are favorite activities at many of our state parks," Donald Forgione, director of the Florida Park Service, said in a news release. "I am very proud that five of Florida's state parks are recognized by Take Me Fishing. Many family memories are made baiting hooks and fishing together."
The Take Me Fishing site also has a map feature where you can type in any location, and it gives you all the info you need to fish and boat.
Florida has long been a top destination for fishermen and boaters. Just last year, the Florida Park Service received its third National Gold Medal for Excellence in Park and Recreation Management.
And now, it's official.
Florida rocks when it comes to fishing and boating.
Send your story tips to the author, Chris Joseph.