Jonathan Martin Says He Felt Trapped with Dolphins

jonathan-martin-2014.jpg
Miami Dolphins offensive lineman Jonathan Martin sat down with former Colts head coach Tony Dungy to give his first interview since the alleged bullying scandal that shook the Fins' season.

In the interview, which is set to air Wednesday night on NBCSN, Martin tells Dungy that he felt trapped during the bullying episode that forced him to quit the team back in October.

See also: Richie Incognito's Year of the Bully

"I felt trapped, like I didn't have a way to make it right," Martin says. "I thought it was best to remove myself from the situation."

In October, news broke that Martin was the constant source of teammate Richie Incognito's bullying, including a time when Incognito allegedly sent vulgar and racist comments texts to Martin.

Incognito was eventually suspended with pay for conduct detrimental to the team.

Since then, both men have been out of the media glare, with Incognito doing one interview with Fox Sports' Jay Glazer.

Martin's interview with Dungy is the first time he's spoken at length about the situation.

"I'm a grown man," Martin says in his interview. "I've been in locker rooms. There's vulgar languages in locker rooms. One instance doesn't bother me. It's the persistence of it. I wish I would have had more tools to solve my situation."

Meanwhile, the Dolphins remain under investigation by the NFL. The league hired Ted Wells to conduct an independent investigation. Team owner Stephen Ross says he doesn't expect to learn the conclusions of that investigation until after the Super Bowl.

From the Sun-Sentinel:

"I've been communication with the NFL and I've spoken with Ted Wells, who is handling the investigation," Ross said. "I don't know exactly what his conclusions [are], but based on my conversations....when it comes out we'll do what has to be done. In my mind I know what direction we're going. Stay tuned."

"I was appalled," Ross told ESPN in November when he was asked about how he felt when first hearing of the alleged message Incognito left Martin in which he called him a "half-n***er."

"I think anybody would be appalled. When you first read that text that was reported, to me I didn't realize people would talk, text, or speak that way."

Ross went into PR mode and put together a Blue Ribbon Committee to clean up the Dolphins' locker room.

Some of the names on that committee included Dan Marino, Don Shula, Jason Taylor, Curtis Martin, and Tony Dungy.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy


Send your story tips to the author, Chris Joseph.

Follow Chris Joseph on Twitter





Advertisement

My Voice Nation Help
3 comments
Chris Schaaff
Chris Schaaff

Thanks. I learned those words from my SAT Prep classes...

Now Trending

Miami Concert Tickets

From the Vault

 

General

Loading...