Five Things Under $5 to Do This Weekend
5. Launch of Free Love Fridays at Longboards
10 p.m. Friday, August 2, at Longboards Restaurant, 519 Clematis St., West Palm Beach. Call 561-833-4660, or visit Facebook. No cover.
Selected to open for Barenaked Ladies on the main stage at SunFest this year, West Palm's very own Making Faces will be performing at the first Free Love Friday event on, well, Friday. This may sound like an orgy at no charge, but it's actually a weekly event with local reggae bands and tunes spun by DJ HiGrade. Let's see those dreadlocks, mon!
- Pretty Girls' Ideal Night: "Tacos, Whiskey, and Playing Terrible '80s Songs on the Jukebox"
- Making Faces on Playing SunFest and Four After-Parties: "I'll Have Plenty of Time to Sleep When I'm Dead"
- West Palm Beach's the KillBillies Head on Tour, and They'll Let You Stalk Them All the Way to Vermont
- Los Bastardos Magnificos Make Country Music "About Drinking and Fighting"
4. Shark Valley Sisters, Mr. Entertainment and the Pookiesmackers, Charlie Pickett, and Shaved Hamster, the Last Schmaltz at Native Florida Tap Room & Music Hall
10 p.m. Friday, August 2, at Native Florida Tap Room & Music Hall, 2006 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood. Visit Facebook. Cash only for drinks. No cover.
What is the Last Schmatlz, you ask? It is actually the last Friday-night party at Native Florida Tap Room & Music Hall before it closes forever. As you mourn the loss of a great venue, take solace in the fact that there is a band named Shaved Hamster somewhere out there in South Florida.
3. Fireside Prophets and South Side Dub at the Funky Buddha Lounge
8 p.m. Friday, August 2, 2621 N. Federal Highway, Boca Raton. Call 561-368-4643, or visit Facebook. $5 cover.
You may have missed the Cruzan stop of the 311 Unity Tour, but you can still get your chill rocking reggae fix with Fireside Prophets and South Side Dub at one of Boca's classiest establishments, Funky Buddha.
6 S. J St., Lake Worth, FL