Our Love/Hate Relationship With Pumpkin Beers
To find out, I did a classic (and very unscientific) poll of people on Facebook. Here's what they had to say about their favorite pumpkin beers:
- "Upslope's Pumpkin Ale. Focuses on the pumpkin and the spices, whereas most pumpkin beers seem more about the traditional pumpkin pie spices. The pumpkins come from a local farm where we get our pumpkins, so that's always a plus. It's a 7.7% and very drinkable."
- "Cigar City Good Gourd!"
- "Shipyard Pumpkin Head. If I'm feeling frisky, I'll dip the rim in honey and then dip that in a mixture of cinnamon and brown sugar, then pour the beer in."
- "Shipyard as well. But honestly, anything pumpkin gets me going."
- "Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale"
- "On a shelf. Far away from me."
- "I don't like pumpkin beer. Then someone bribed me into trying a different pumpkin beer at the Lodge, with the honey and cinnamon. It was better, but still pretty terrible."
Well, that seems like a relatively calm mix of emotions. Enjoyment, disdain... I'm sure the same results would come back with questions like 'What's your favorite IPA?'.
As for Twitter, Todd Alstom of BeerAdvocate told BuzzFeed that he "underestimated the passion for pumpkin beer" but that the tweet did what it was supposed to do. "Mission accomplished. Drink a beer. It'll be OK."
Oh, and, of course: "For the record, I dig a good pumpkin beer."
Where do you sit on pumpkin beers? Love 'em? Hate 'em? Or do you just think that everyone needs to shut up and drink some more?
Beer things in your Twitter feed, follow me @DougFairall