Recipe: Gluten-Free Hazelnut Butter Toffee-Chocolate Chip Cookies -- from Aran Goyoaga
|Little, Brown and Company|
|Aran Goyoaga's recipe for gluten-free hazelnut butter toffee-chocolate chip cookies|
Hazelnut Butter Toffee-Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 24 cookies
1 stick (8 tablespoons or 110 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (125 g) light brown sugar
1/4 cup (50 g) natural cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg, at room temperature
1 cup (140 g) superfine brown rice flour
1/3 cup (55 g) potato starch
1/3 cup (40 g) tapioca starch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup (70 g) chopped Hazelnut Butter Toffee (recipe below)
1/2 cup (90 g) mini semisweet chocolate chips
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the butter, brown sugar, and cane sugar with the paddle attachment on medium speed until light, about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and the egg. Mix until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the superfine brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, salt, and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until it comes together. Add the chopped hazelnut butter toffee and chocolate chips. Mix until well combined.
3. Scrape the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper; it will be sticky. With the help of the parchment paper, shape the dough into a round log that is about 13 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. Roll the parchment around the log and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
5. Cut the cookie log into ½-inch-thick disks. Place them on the baking sheets, spaced 2 inches apart. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before lifting them. Store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days (if they last that long!).
For the hazelnut butter toffee:
Aran's note: This is also wonderful on its own, sprinkled over ice cream, or folded into a mousse.
Makes 1 cup
1/3 cup (45 g) hazelnuts
1/3 cup (70 g) natural cane sugar
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons or 55 g) unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet. Toast for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden. Place them inside a cloth towel while still warm and rub them together to remove their skins. Reserve.
2. Combine the sugar, butter, 2 tablespoons water, and salt in a small saucepan. Cook on medium-high heat while stirring until the sugar dissolves and the butter melts. Stop stirring and cook until a candy thermometer reads 300°F (150°C). Add the toasted hazelnuts and stir.
Pour the toffee onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Let it cool completely.
3. Coarsely chop the toffee. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Follow @ CleanPlateBPB