Burger King's Bacon Sundae: Not Fit For Man or Beast
|Someone is intrigued.|
After all, when Burger King announced their new bacon sundae, I had to try one. It's the food equivalent to a double dare. As I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed signage for BK's new healthier menu items. Fruit smoothies and chicken salads were lovingly photographed in all their glory. I thought that maybe South Florida missed out on the gut bomb menu items that Burger King recently announced.
After all, not only did the "King" announce the bacon sundae ($2.49), but the Miami-based corporation said they were introducing an entire host of bad-for-you products like the sweet potato fries, Carolina BBQ burgers and chicken sandwiches ($3.49), and a Memphis BBQ pulled pork sandwich ($3.49). BK calls it their summer menu. We call it food-to-die-by.
I asked the person at the counter if they, in fact, had the bacon sundae. "You're the first person who asked for one", she exclaimed -- then proceeded to confirm that I actually wanted one of them. Apparently this was either not well marketed...or people were smarter than some marketing executives thought. The manager came over with my purchase. "I hope we did this right", he told me. This was not boding well.
I brought the sundae home and placed it on the coffee table to take a few shots before it melted into oblivion. Immediately, my Chihuahua Molly was intrigued. Because of the hot fudge, I refused to share this treat with my chow hound and dug into this cold mess myself.
Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly.
The good: The bacon was crisp, not too salty, and actually worked well with the standard-issue soft serve ice cream. Though not something I would go back for, I was preparing for the food-version of a train wreck, but it wasn't so bad.
The bad: Someone has to do something about that hot
The ugly: Apparently Chihuahuas do not have the same palate as people (nor do they listen to reason when it comes to bacon). Yes, I teased the poor little beastie by putting it in her range of vision and smell for a few seconds. But I moved it to a high counter top when answering the phone. Here's a fun trivia fact: When enticed by bacon, Chihuahuas can, apparently, jump onto four foot high surfaces.
After finding an empty cup and a faceful of ice cream on said pocket pet, I immediately rushed her to the local vet for treatment. Chocolate is known to be toxic to dogs and this 11 pounder had surely bitten off more than she could chew, so to speak.
My vet, however, thought this was the funniest thing ever. "Tell me again....Burger King has a bacon sundae? And Molly got into it?"
"Doctor, there was chocolate in the sundae. Fudge!," I shrieked.
"It's more sugar than chocolate," the vet sagely deduced. "She does have some gas," he chuckled as he gave her a dose of doggie antacid.
As I pulled out my wallet, my vet motioned for me to put it away. "This one's on me," he said. "Best laugh I've had all week."
As we walked out the door, I heard the doctor call after me, "Hey! Weren't they trying a new healthy menu? Maybe you should both stick to the grilled chicken and smoothies." That's some good advice.
Follow Clean Plate Charlie on Twitter: @CleanPlateBPB