A New Florida Tomato, Jose Andres' Food Truck, and Other Links
2. Among the disturbing weekend news, police are still searching for the gunman who shot two people at the South Florida fairgrounds in West Palm. Saturday night around midnight, a man shot two juveniles, prompting an hourlong lockdown to prevent thousands of people from leaving the fair. The two victims did not suffer life-threatening injuries. The gunman was described as a man in black. Read more about it here.
3. Jose Andres told Eater.com he's debuting not one but two food trucks, one in D.C. and its twin in Miami. The plan is for Pepe the food truck to serve sandwiches the chef grew up with. Designed by Philippe Starck -- designer of the Delano Hotel and the Bazaar at SLS Beverly Hills, among other properties -- the truck will be based out of SLS Hotel South Beach.
4. A winter Florida tomato worth celebrating: it's the Tasti-Lee, a beefsteak beauty developed at the University of Florida.
5. Calling all home cooks. Check out these spicy chicken wings for the Super Bowl or Chinese New Year. Another don't miss: hot sauce wars, with the newest tag, "I put that shit on everything."
6. Finally, Food and Wine offers six ways to ruin a cupcake. And here we thought they were already ruined by their ubiquity, these cockroaches of the culinary scene.
New Times on Facebook | Clean Plate Charlie on Facebook | Melissa on Facebook | Clean Plate Charlie on Twitter | Melissa McCart on Twitter | E-mail Melissa |