Five Dishes to Try at New Times' Fourth-Annual Pairings on September 15
|Tuna tartar is among the more photogenic bites to make an appearance at this year's event.|
1. Spicy tuna roll from Buddha Sky Bar and Vinoce Sauvignon Blanc Napa 2010. Flinty Sauvignon Blanc can be a safe bet pairing with shellfish or sushi. Here's hoping for a handroll, since the cone is fun to eat.
2. Tuscan beef ravioli with white bean sauce from Cafe Maxx and Ferrari Carano Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley 2008. Comfort food for fall and a big red make for a crowd-pleasing pairing.
3. Beef carpaccio with arugula and capers from Farradday's Steakhouse and Estancia Meritage Paso Robles 2007. Though raw beef isn't for everyone, when carpaccio is good, it's sublime. I'm excited to try it from here.
4. Steamed pork buns from YOLO and Row Eleven Pinot Noir Santa Maria Valley 2007. I have yet to make my way to this restaurant, but I've been given the heads-up on several menu items from here. I'm looking forward to trying its rendition of pork buns, a new bar-food standard.
5. Veal risotto timbale with pecorino, thyme, and tomatoes from Casa d'Angelo and Corte Pavone Brunello di Montalcino 2005. The culinary destination restaurant offers a pairing that's particularly decadent.
Otherwise, you can click on Pairings to get your $45 online tickets or pay $55 at the door. Deep-pocketed readers can shell out $80 for VIP tickets that allow you in early, before the general admission crowds.
Follow Clean Plate Charlie on Facebook and on Twitter. Follow me @melissamccart.