John Offerdahl's Gridiron Grill-Off Pits Chefs Against Football Stars
|Offerdahl hits the grill as the Gridiron Griller.|
On November 13, Offerdahl and his friends might just show some professional chefs how to do their thang too. That's when he'll host the Gridiron Grill-Off, a charity event to feed South Florida's homeless and determine who's the real master of the grill.
Offerdahl has invited some of his longtime football friends as well as local chefs to compete with one another in a backyard-style cooking contest. Each chef will be paired with a Miami Dolphins legend, and wow did Offerdahl pull out the big guns for this. The lineup is like an all-star team, with players such as Mark Duper, Larry Little, and Zach Thomas in attendance. And the chef choices ain't too shabby either -- how about Oliver Saucey, Dean Max, and Mark Militello, just to name a few?
Fans in attendance will get to watch the proceedings, then sample the food and vote on a winner. Gourmet grub and drinks from other local restaurants will also be on hand, doled out by a team of celebrity linebackers that includes Kim Bokamper, Bob Brudzinski, and Offerdahl himself.
All that, plus a silent auction and an interactive tailgating contest called (oddly enough) the Big Gig Cornhole Classic, will go down from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Waterway Shops of Weston (2200 Weston Road, Weston). Tickets cost $56, and all proceeds go toward the Hope Foundation.
Here's a complete list of the chefs and pros.
- #11 Jim "Crash" Jensen (Legendary Utility Man) with Chris Capron (China Grill @ Hilton Marina)
- #22 Tony Nathan (Legendary RB) with Ron Duprat (Latitudes @ Hollywood Beach Marriott)
- #23 Patrick Surtain (Pro-Bowl CB) with Mark Militello (Trina @ Atlantic Hotel)
- #25 Louis Oliver (Pro-Bowl S) with David Hackett (Hollywood Prime @ Westin Diplomat Resort)
- #29 Sam Madison (Pro-Bowl CB) with Angelo Elia (Casa D'Angelo)
- #40 Dick Anderson (Wall-of-Fame 2x Super Bowl Champion DB) with Oliver Saucy (Café Maxx)
- #54 Zach Thomas (Pro Bowl LB) with Dean Max (3030 Ocean @ Marriot Harbor Beach)
- #57 Dwight Stephenson (HOF C) with Johnny Vinczencz (Johnny V's)
- #66 Larry Little (HOF 2x Super Bowl Champion G) with Peter Boulukus (YOLO)
- #69 Keith Sims (Pro-Bowl G) with Marcello Sindoni (Il Toscano)
- #80 Joe Rose (Radio and TV Personality TE) with Jason Smith (Steak 954 @ W Hotel)
- #85 Mark Duper (Wall-of-Fame WR) with Marco Vico (Café Vico)