Choose the Glam for Your Hamburger
|The Cheesecake Factory's Memphis, Monterey, and blue cheese BLT "Glamburgers."|
For six weeks in April and May, the national chain known for its endless crowds and monstrous portions solicited creative "Glamburger" recipes as part of its rollout of a half-dozen designer patties of its own. Almost 30,000 submissions have been narrowed down to five, with the winner decided by a vote of thousands of Jeffrey Steingarden wannabes just like you. (To vote for your favorite burger before the Wednesday, June 30, deadline, go here.)
And what glamorous prize does the winning guy or gal receive? Well, for one, they'll get to see their very own Glamburger on the menu of all Factories throughout the country (including local outlets in Sunrise, Boca Raton, and West Palm Beach) for a year, plus their choice of a swell vacation in Sonoma or Monterey, California; Memphis, Tennessee; Austin, Texas; Rogue River Valley, Oregon; or Santa Fe, New Mexico.
The contenders are:
• Cajun Delight, from Pedro G. of Valrico, Florida. Andouille, tasso, and crawfish; Muenster cheese; roasted peppers; and Cajun dark roux.
• The Godfather, from April K. of Maryville, Illinois. Ground beef, garlic vinaigrette-marinated tomatoes, mozzarella and provolone cheeses, pepperoni, grilled onions, marinara, Parmesan, and romaine.
• Greek Feta Burger, from Kristi G. of Zebulon, Georgia. Ground beef, feta cheese, tomatoes, arugula salad, Kalamata olives, red onion, cucumber, green peppers, garlic aioli.
• Waikiki Beach Burger, from Aaron H. of Temecula, California. Canadian bacon, mozzarella, fresh pineapple, arugula, teriyaki sauce.
• Wild Mushroom Burger, from Thomas S. of Champaign, Illinois. Portobello, shiitake, and crimini mushrooms; caramelized onion; red pepper; Gruyère and Swiss cheeses; demiglace.
I would have liked to see the "Border Burger" make the cut; its combo of ancho chili sauce, habaneros, jalapeño jack cheese, onion rings, avocado, and crunchy tortilla strips sounds like a real kick in the taste buds. On the other hand, whoever came up with the "Glam It Up" burger -- tomato, dill pickle, roasted green chilies, iceberg lettuce, black beans, corn, guacamole, grapes, Brie, fontina, cheddar, and buttermilk ranch dressing -- should probably donate their taste buds to science. Or have them surgically removed.
In any event, vote early, vote often. The winner will be announced Thursday, July 1.