Top 10 Grossest Foods We Eat Every Day
|Walls and walls of yuck.|
But what about America? Surely we eat some things that, to a foreigner, would seem downright disgusting. Well, here's a list of 10 items you'll find in your local supermarket that, once you think about it, are pretty darn bizarre in their own right. And you don't have to be Andrew Zimmern to eat them, either. Just an average Joe.
10. Mayonnaise: Once upon a time, there was a sauce so delicious people wanted to slather it all over everything from chicken to vegetables. Fast forward a hundred years or so, and mass-produced mayonnaise has become an unrecognizable monster; a gelatinous, quivering blob of emulsified fat. Before you defend mayo (and I love the stuff too), remember that this is a sauce people dare each other to eat. What does that say about it?
8. Sour Cream: Break down these words for me: Sour -- as in rancid, off, and turned -- and cream -- as in thick, pasty, and milky. It's sad to admit, but this stuff actually makes the food at Taco Bell more palatable.
7. Canned green beans/peas: When I was young, my mother made me clean my plate before I left the table, with no exceptions (thus, Clean Plate Charlie was born). But during one meal, I told her I would vomit if she made me eat all of my canned green beans. I kept my promise -- all over her beautiful dinner table. She never made me eat the disgusting things again.
6. Anchovies: I love anchovies, and even I'll admit they're horribly, horribly wrong. Why out of all the fish we could've canned did we have to choose the one that smells like gym socks and old diapers? And what's with all those little bones?
4. Pickled pigs feet: Almost every supermarket has at least one jar of pickled pigs feet that has been collecting dust for a few decades. It's no secret why no one's buying it, either. Who would want to eat something that looks like the aborted Ripley clones from Aliens 4?
3. Cream of Wheat: I'm pretty sure Cream of Wheat is the same thing as wallpaper paste. No? Then isn't it what they use to repair dents in cars? That's Bondo, you say? Shit, I don't think I actually know what Cream of Wheat is.
2. Cottage Cheese: If it looks like baby vomit, and tastes like baby vomit, it must be... cottage cheese. Oh, but it's healthy for you! Chase those pounds away with a big ol' tub, ladies! Think of all the pounds you'll shed by refusing to eat it!
Got something grosser? Give us your recommendation(s) in the comments field below.